Holy shit. The dissenting ideas of those without power will always be spun as untrue, unreliable, idealist, utopian, irresponsible, and irrational…. until people from the group that holds the power show their support for it.
THIS. IS. HUGE. I can hardly keep the tears back reading it. It’s similar to the feeling I had somewhat recently when I heard a male stand up for females in the punk music scene. Suddenly your opinion is validated - your emotions, your suffering, your anger - your reality.
There’s much more to this story. Because there’s never been a platform for the voices of the 1% that isn’t co-opted by the ideology of the ruling elite, many people in the 99% argue that wealth inequality is just. That achieving and hording an obscene amount is acceptable because someone “worked for it”. It’s an argument that values individualist accumulation completely separate from the context it exists in. It’s so American Protestant to value ownership over altruism.
But now, things are different. These amazingly brave 1%ers are speaking up, and they’re revealing thoughts and feelings that I would never have dreamed that they had. Some admit a sense of guilt, others express frustration or deep concern. I even get the picture that many have always wanted to help, but the structures have never been in place to make it possible or easy for them to do so.
Some people say that altruism and wealth don’t go together. I’ve even read articles lately that suggest that the more wealth you have, the less likely you are to give it away. These people are making it plain to anyone who thought otherwise that if you have a lot of money, you aren’t going to suffer from sharing it - maybe you’ll even (gasp!) enjoy it. They’re making it clear that anyone who benefits from increased social welfare (however it’s executed) is not “selfish”, “lazy” or “unworthy” of assistance.
We ALL deserve a life where sustenance is guaranteed and health and happiness are fought for. We should never let the petty ideal of ownership obscure the scientific reality that we ARE all in this together - that our big brains are a direct result of our capacity for compassion.
Look it up.
106 Notes/ Hide
- bringiton911 likes this
- nickthejam likes this
- seenthroughlegacy likes this
- neneleakesyournudes likes this
- mspeggybundy reblogged this from terrivella and added:
- gethealthy-getwealthy reblogged this from themuckofages
- purukumin reblogged this from junkmonkeyzr0
- terziele likes this
- waiyanjpn likes this
- potinsocio likes this
- krew3lla reblogged this from blueciano
- junkmonkeyzr0 reblogged this from wingsofdiamonds
- junkmonkeyzr0 likes this
- amymaria reblogged this from mayreneeplay and added:
- jentmv likes this
- tape-leg likes this
- chiefbae reblogged this from jasonregurgitateshisthoughts
- brancachino reblogged this from jasonregurgitateshisthoughts
- brancachino likes this
- muziq-speakz-love reblogged this from smashleymonai
- jasonregurgitateshisthoughts reblogged this from funwithlemonade
- wendfarm likes this
- joshuabizley reblogged this from funwithlemonade
- funwithlemonade reblogged this from getdamemo
- funwithlemonade likes this
- getdamemo reblogged this from cutealienbabe
- grankle likes this
- cheeeeeeen likes this
- mayreneeplay reblogged this from cutealienbabe and added:
- wingsofdiamonds reblogged this from smilingaradia
- soundtrick-old likes this
- smilingaradia reblogged this from gingerita and added:
- iarejoann likes this
- mendelianslip likes this
- themuckofages posted this